When writing any paper, we have more interest in the choice of subject and its creative structure. What we don’t think about is how to title an essay. This should be the first step after you’ve chosen the subject of your descriptive, argumentative, or any other essay type.
Your paper title has to be an attention hook for your readers and the main focus of the paper. There are lots of intricacies as to creating an engaging title, and we’ll go over every fact in this full guide for every student and professional writer.
Components of a Strong Essay Title
So, wondering how to title an essay at its best? The first thing to look into when learning how to title an essay is its components. In an argumentative essay, you have to be strict with the topic, every argument, and evidence. In a descriptive essay, you have more freedom. Professional writers working at writing services know everything about this and can help you by providing a high-quality paper.
The situation is similar with the essay title. Whether you have been assigned to write a narrative, a descriptive, or any other type of essay, use the formula below when creating a title. Let’s go through the main parts.
When writing a topic for your paper, here are the must-have elements of a powerful essay title to be included:
- An attention hook (or - attention grabber) - your headline has to be eye-catching, and this can be achieved with such hooks. Remember that an essay author has only one chance to make the first impression. An eye-catching title should contain a hook that won’t leave your reader indifferent. You should make sure that the title will appeal to your target audience. Create such a title that will arouse interest in your reader. Your essay readers should feel a strong desire to start reading the content and find out what the paper is about.
- Focus keyword and keywords that relate to the essay topic. A strong essay title should contain the words and phrases that reveal the main idea of the paper. Make it clear what the essence of your piece of writing is by including topic keywords. Readers should have a clear picture of what, when, and where is going to be reviewed in the paper.
All of these have to be in your catchy name to make the paper a success. Your professor has to be eager to read it. The main purpose of the research paper author is to provide the target audience with an idea of what kind of issue, concept, etc. is going to be discussed in the paper. The components listed above will help you outline the major focus of an essay, research paper, articles, or any other piece of academic writing.
What are the Qualities of a Good Essay Title and Why It's Important?
Just imagine how many essays teachers check weekly. Your task is to engage the reader for him/her to have a wish to read the whole paper up to the bibliography page. A good title will help you to stand out. “How can I know that I have created a good essay title?” – It’s as easy as ABC if you know how to distinguish a good title from the bad one. There are certain features that characterize a good title for any type of writing. A wow essay title should meet several requirements. Follow the tips below when writing a paper title for an essay, article review, summary, or another literature page. So, the inevitable qualities of a good essay title are:
- Catchy. The title isn’t an annotated bibliography. It’s a piece of writing where you can be creative. A great title like an introduction should be hooking and engaging. Your reader should feel impatient to read the paper and discover what it’s about.
- Including only true information. You must have seen many headlines on the web, which look catchy but are 100% lie. First, the reader feels intrigued, but when he/she starts reading such an article, he/she suddenly understands that the title doesn’t correspond to the content of the academic writing. Make sure that your essay title is believable, doesn’t contain errors, and reflects ideas from the introduction.
- Readable. A headline must be understandable. Try to avoid complicated constructions and words that your reader may not know. The meaning of the title should be clear and concise.
- Devoid of Passive Voice constructions. Remember that the headline of your academic writing should be written in an Active Voice instead of Passive. Paraphrase the title in case it contains passive verbs.
- Short. You should meet the word limit when creating a title. Don’t write more than 10 words and keep it short instead of writing a title that occupies half a page. You can include 12 words maximum.
- Devoid of vagueness. Your task is to make it clear for the reader what your research paper is about from the very first line. Make sure that the headline of your essay or research paper is written accurately and won’t cause any misunderstandings.
An article title is the first thing the reader sees and evaluates. That’s why it’s very important to write a good title that will hook the reader. The teacher will grade your piece of literature high in case the title contains all the elements.
Main Rules of Headline Writing
If you write essay titles according to the following rules, there will be much more attention drawn to your writing. This may also improve your grades in the long run:
- Make sure your title depicts the sense of the writing. Read the thesis statement of your assignment several times before writing a catchy name. The heading has to summarize the main idea of the paper. It has to be professional and eye-catching.
- Capitalize it according to the needed style. Whether it’s APA or MLA, you’ll need to capitalize your heading in a certain way. Make sure you know the rules before handing in the paper.
- Don’t format it in any other way. If you’re that student who likes to underline everything, this might not be the best idea for an essay title. While it might look good, your professor may not think so.
- Read an example. A professional writing service will provide a high-quality example for you to take as a template.
Make sure you go through all of these rules before handing in the final version of your paper.
The Process of Creating an Essay Title
Let’s see more on the process of actually creating the paper’s heading. There are certain steps that every professional writer uses, and you should too:
- Consider writing the heading last. A lot of students find the idea of writing the essay title last very useful. You know exactly what’s your argument, which quote, phrase, and fact are key.
- Put your thesis statement to action. The best source for an engaging name is your thesis statement. After you make that perfect, use it as the basis for the heading.
- Use a popular phrase or an updated cliche. Putting a re-made cliche or a popular phrase into your paper name will benefit the final result. It will improve the quality of the title and engage your reader. You can also consult your professor as to using a quote.
- Pay attention to the tone. Connect the tone of the heading with the tone of your paper. The reader feels this connection, and it just looks and sounds more organic. It’s not appropriate to joke in the essay title if the topic and the tone are very serious. Match the quality of vocabulary as well.
- Use the three-word rule. The rule is that you have to sum up the whole essay in just three words and use it as the main part of the heading (before the colon). Then give a very brief description after the colon, awakening interest in your readers.
These are worth printing out and hanging on a wall in your study corner. Every heading will come out perfectly when doing every step.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When You Create an Essay Title
Some of the most common mistakes are:
- Making the title too sensitive (given the topic is sensitive);
- Ask the right questions that will be the highlights to your essay;
- Don’t become too personal (in the heading or the paper);
- Follow requirements if there are any as to the name;
- Avoid offensive words.
These are quite simple, but sometimes students get carried away. So it’s important to be loyal and respectful.
Useful Tips on Writing the Best Heading
Some extra tips for you to avoid messing up:
- Consider making the essay title a creative question;
- Start thinking about the heading from the very beginning of your work;
- The header should be above the main topic;
- Consider taking the name of a book, movie, album, etc. and adapting it if it’s applicable;
- Don’t make it too simple or too complicated;
- If you can’t choose between two options, unite them;
- Get feedback from peers, friends, and family to see if the heading works.
30 Catchy Essay Title Examples
So, finding it difficult to create a killer essay title? Check the title examples for articles below to get inspired for brainstorming your own title ideas.
- Government Should Make the Storage of Weapons Legal Everywhere.
- It’s Illegal to Install Cameras in Public Places.
- Every Person Should Have the Right for Privacy and Confidentiality.
- Online Casino Games Should Be Legal All Over the World.
- Cosmetic Surgery: Pros and Cons.
- All Religions Have the Right to Exist.
- Gambling Stimulates Brain Activity.
- The Day I Felt Harmony with My “Inner Me.”
- Supernatural Abilities for My Happy Existence.
- Instagram: A Waste of Time or a Way to Express Yourself?
- Robots: Helpful Guys or Danger to Humanity?
- Killers: People with the Trauma in Childhood or Just Insane?
- Math Is the Queen of All Sciences.
- Everyone Can Become a Millionaire in the 21 Century.
- Information Is the Main Weapon Today.
- Distance Learning: A Way to Learn with Comfort or an Escape from Society?
- COVID-19: A Killer of People or a Killer of Small Businesses?
- Can You Become a Well-Educated Person without College Tuition?
- Drugs Cause a Serious Damage to Brain Activity.
- Social Networks: Space Where You Can Be Anybody.
- Your Life Is In Your Hands Only.
- The Place I Would Visit If I Had a Time Machine.
- Smart Home Technology: The Best Way to Protect Yourself.
- Robots Will Replace Most Professions in the Future.
- Millions of People from All Over the World Meet in One Place – Facebook.
- More People Buy iPhones Using Credit Money.
- Teenagers Have More Freedom in the Age of New Technologies.
- All News on TV Hide True Information about the Situation with COVID.
- Love Is Just a Work of Hormones.
- Uniform Is an Effective Way to Make Everyone Look Equal.
To Sum Up
In conclusion, it’s worth saying that all successful literature authors follow the same rules listed here above when brainstorming title ideas. Creating a title may be a difficult task, but once you master the art, your papers will be favorite for any professor. And remember, if there are any issues with the essay title or any other part of the process, you can always use services like EssayDragon. There are over 340 writers, always ready to help you improve grades and understand headline writing in the best way.