During a studying process in university or college, you have to write some academic papers, including essays. It requires specific skills and knowledge. Moreover, you need to work with inspiration and try to grab the attention of teachers or other readers. If you want to succeed in this field, you should learn more about various types of essays and how to write each of them properly.
Our article is a guide to the wide world of essays with clear instructions and efficient pieces of advice for students who want to surprise everyone with intriguing writing pieces.
Standard Rules for Writing and Editing the Essays
- Make a research and highlight your ideas. First of all, you should explore the main topic of your work. Learn as many sources as possible. The academic database, books, and latest newspapers can give you all needed information about your subject. If you have a demanding lecturer, you should ask him what sources are acceptable. Wikipedia is hugely popular, but you should carefully check some facts before writing them down. Proceeding from the information you’ve read, it is crucial to elaborate your own ideas. You should write conclusions that highlight your opinion, not only well-known facts and quotes of famous persons.
- Analyze other writing pieces. Read well-written essays on the similar topic. It can be students’ academic works or articles of recognizable writers. Visit some competent websites that show examples of excellent essays. Moreover, you shouldn’t just read them; you have to analyze them carefully. Try to be objective and notice mistakes as well as great ideas. You may borrow some style peculiarities and improve your writing works. Look at examples of proper words and expressions mentioned in this article.
- Pick the main thesis points and create a plan. Among your numerous ideas and thoughts, choose the most valuable and use them in your academic paper. Remember that good work must include research of proves and confirmations. When you know your major aim, you can create short essay plan. Make a start with your ideas and explain them with your pieces of evidence. On average, you need three proofs and arguments to each idea.
- Be consistent. A proper essay has a clear structure. Introduction, main part, and conclusion are crucial for any well-written academic work. An introduction is your chance to awake the readers’ interest. If you create your writing piece only for a teacher, he will read it whether or not, but if you want to cover wider audience, you should intrigue them from the first sentences. Include the description of the main topic at the beginning. After this, constrict your thoughts to a brief thesis that express your personal vision. Don’t use common phrases that can tire people who read your writing piece. A conclusion is also very important because it is an excellent opportunity to summarize the results of your research and emphasize problems and solutions you offer. You may find examples of proper articles in various niches.
- Editing process. Proofreading can improve your essay. It is crucial to detect and correct all grammar, punctuation, and style errors. However, it is not so easy to see all your mistakes, so you should do this in a few days. You will understand everything clearer and be more objective. Check all apostrophes, commas, quotation marks, colons and semicolons. Remove unnecessary words and make your writing piece more readable. For example, don’t use too many adjectives and avoid colloquial phrases, such as wouldn’t, shouldn’t, can’t, don’t and so on. If it’s hard for you to find right words, use Thesaurus. But don’t go overboard with complex and rare words that can make your paper less readable. Your writing piece will be more attractive and accurate if someone else read it. It is a good thing to hear critic from another person. You will find some problematic areas in your essay, and will be able to rewrite it before delivering to your teacher.
Now you know more about the qualified writing process. You’ve found out where you can read good essay examples and know the main steps of the essay creation. But we want to dig deeper and tell you more about writing techniques for different essay types. This knowledge lets you be more pacific and accurate in writing.
Major Essay Types with Explanation and Writing Suggestions
This type of essay allows students to create a story about real occasions from their lives. But the challenge is to do this as engaging as possible. The key point of any narrative article should evoke readers’ emotions. The author must clearly describe various events, characters, and their actions. The first person hence helps a student be more frank and truthful. But a good structure may also improve a narrative essay. Your writing piece must include an engaging introduction, a proper description of setting, the reason of the essay, a culmination moment and your conclusions. Devote attention to your vocabulary. Remember that if you write it for a teacher it has to be formal and serious.
In this kind of essay, the author should analyze a subject and present all opinions and thoughts about it. Therefore, it shouldn’t be written in the first person. The research has to be complex and profound. The more useful information you may find the better. The author doesn’t highlight his opinion. He must try to be objective, show different, sometimes opposite, points of view and write reasonable resolution about the main idea of the writing piece. Let a reader draw his own conclusions about occasions, persons, and processes described in your paper. And don’t forget to operate with proved facts and statistic data.
Probably, this kind of writing may create more issues than other. The author has to convince you of his rightness. He collects accurate facts about the topic, but he should also clearly explain his own position. The whole writing piece is a debate when you describe all points and shreds of evidence and try to persuade the opposite side. Your explanation must sound right, so use only trusted sources. Moreover, try to excite a reader and tell him an interesting story, not only dry facts and statistics. This type of essay requires some skills and qualification. If you want to find out how professional writers work, visit this website Essaydragon.com.
No matter what kind of essay you have to write, it must be original, engaging and grammatically correct. Don’t be afraid to express your opinion if needed, use only truthful information, check your work carefully and follow our writing suggestions. We highly appreciate the view of our readers. Share your experience in essay writing in comments below and let us know if our article was useful for you.