Writing a rhetorical analysis essay like a informative essay can be a real challenge for many students due to its tough terminology and knowledge required. By having a clear idea of the key principles of this genre, you will be able to master your skills and produce an all-covering rhetorical analysis essay with no stress or hassle.
Have no time to dive into technical essay specs yourself? There is an alternative approach for you here - to have a professional on the task and get it ready-made and shining. When assigning an essay to an accredited writer, you will save a lot of time and get the highest grade for the assignment. The task subject and your academic qualification do not matter - our specialists hold certifications in different academic disciplines and will deliver outstanding papers to you.
What Is a Rhetorical Analysis?
First of all, let's determine what a rhetorical analysis is. Rhetoric is defined as the art of convincing writing or speaking. Therefore, a rhetorical analysis essay is aimed at persuading a reader or listener and having them on your side. You should be informed that it differs from a research paper. Techniques used in this type of writing are sometimes referred to as rhetorical tactics or stylistic choices. They vary based on the medium of the message, your approach, and the topic being under discussion. In order to analyze the persuasive appeal of a key message, you are to understand how it is appealing to the reader and how much he knows about it.
We will talk about the main rhetorical strategies further in the text; let’s now focus on the distinctive features of the genre:
- Such papers are created with the sole purpose: to convince those reading the piece that your point of view is the correct one;
- The task requires an analytical approach;
- You are to research the topic in full in order to build a proper key statement and successfully “support” it.
When analyzing the techniques to persuade your point of view in this academic paper, it is helpful to keep the below three methods at the forefront.
Ethos, Pathos, Logos
The task requires a high degree of literacy and the ability to analyze the use of language. Besides, you also need to be an expert in the subject matter topic discussed in the original piece in order to critically assess the elements of the text and make conclusions about them. However, it is not only data analysis that is required in this piece; you are to deliver your conclusions to your readers in the most effective way. This is where ethos, pathos, and logos will be of great service to you.
- Ethos - referred to a situation where an author cites his credibility as an attempt to appeal to an audience by dint of intrinsic and extrinsic approaches. In this case, it is his credibility and background what allows him to gain approval;
- Pathos - refers to the emotional side of the argument. A writer appeals to the audience’s sense of identity, interests, and emotions;
- Logos - differently from the above approaches, logos is all about critical thinking. It refers to situations when a writer uses reasoning to win favor or gain approval from his readers.
When deciding on a rhetorical strategy for your paper, we strongly recommend that you assign to it different combinations of the above categories. Texts can operate on different levels based on a strong argument you are building.
How to Write a Rhetorical Analysis Essay
Start your work on the task with the preparation and doing preliminary literary research. Here are some basic steps you need to take in order to produce a consistent and convincing piece:
- Read and analyze the text you are to prepare a response for. Take notes about some important facts and essential information;
- Check information about the writer (his background, interests, achievements, approaches, other works);
- List the peculiarities of your target audience (What do they know about the topic you are going to write about? What are they interested in? How can they be influenced?);
- Decide on the purpose you pursue;
- Build your thesis statement that you are going to support in your paper;
- Develop a paper outline (make sure it covers not only a key statement but also all basic parts of your writing, such as an introduction, body, and conclusion);
- Prepare the first paper draft, with every paragraph strictly adhering to the outline;
- Read a draft yourself or ask your friend to do it for you. At this point, your main goal is to make sure that you reach your target with your writing, that your chosen rhetorical strategy works well for you;
- Do the proofreading job, fix the text, and correct mistakes in any.
Although the main focus of this academic assignment is on paper contents, you still need to make sure that there are no inaccuracies and errors in the text. Otherwise, your writing strategy will simply fail because the reader will have a wrong impression of your proficiency. Check paper samples to understand what you are expected to deliver.
Writing Rhetorical Analysis Essay Useful Tips
- Get more practice. You may find thousands of statements on radio, TV, and online. Search for cognitive books! You have a great guide for analysis of the figurative language and, specifically, targeting tools.
- Don't let yourself to be lead away while writing the rhetorical analysis essay. Avoid the trap of explaining the meaning. Focus on research techniques that supply the exceptional effect.
- At least 50 percent of your writing piece must be a commentary. You need quotes to support your judgments and thesis. However, do not let them "speak" for you and never begin a paragraph with a quotation.
- Keep your own voice. Prove your statement, reflect your opinion and describe the arguments and examples explicitly. Again, do not forget that rhetorical analysis is not a research paper.
Rhetorical Analysis Essay Topics
It all starts with a topic. You need to pick the right theme since every great rhetorical analysis essay starts with an equally great topic. After all, a sound topic can become an extra argument to start your persuasive strategy with. Stick to the following rules when choosing on a topic for your piece:
- List the topics of pieces that you personally find appealing and convincing;
- Choose a subject that is interesting and trendy at the moment;
- Pick a theme that worries your target audience.
The above approach will help you find the right direction and move further as you collect information and explore the topic in full. In case you lack experience or skills to do topic research by your own efforts, then you can always ask professionals to assist you. Our writing experts have sufficient experience and skills to cope with any task. Forget about low grades and delivering poor-quality papers. Let us invest our knowledge in your academic excellence.
Many students consider this type of essay writing the most difficult task. Of course, such a statement has some grounds. However, proper preparation and a clear plan of action will save you from a hassle, stress, and C-D grades.