Do you know what is an academic paper? During studying in university, students have to write many academic papers at many courses. They have to write essays, research papers, analysis papers, etc. The main purpose of writing these works is to teach students to express their thoughts and share opinions on paper and think logically to explain their opinion and prove it with clear argument.
Most of the students don't like to work on such papers because they see it as torture. They wait until the deadline and make their papers on last night without getting a clear idea of what they are doing. Sometimes students prefer using some help with writing from professional sites. We created this detailed instruction to explain the process of writing and goal of making specific paper.
Needless to say that creating an essay or other work shouldn't be torture, it must give student good chance to discover something interesting from certain course. Academic paper writing should be something exciting and even challenging to do. If a student has the freedom to find and choose a good topic, and to express their own ideas in work, the process of writing transforms into a great challenge that is interesting to take. Writing an academic paper develops many skills.
Students learn to think critically, express their thoughts, make some research work, search and gather important information, analyze facts, and show that you are familiar with the subject and you can analyze information and prove your argument with good evidence.
Keep reading this guide! We will provide you with useful tips how to write good academic papers. If you understand the goal of writing and understand the entire process, creating good work doesn't seem a big problem. Follow our instructions and create good work to impress your teacher!
10 Rules How to Write Academic Paper Successfully
- You need to define the goal of writing your work. The main purpose of any kind of paper is to analyze, inform, and persuade. Define the goal of your article right after you choose a topic for your future work.
- Consider your audience that will read your academic paper; think how you can catch their interests and engage people with your ideas.
- Needless to say that your work must be written with the clear point of view. That's why you have to reflect the main purpose of your paper in the thesis statement.
- You need to focus every single paragraph of your future work on the thesis statement. This will help you to avoid including unimportant and unnecessary information in the article.
- You have to structure information to follow standards of writing, and this is the best way to make your work logical and clear to readers.
- Make sure each paragraph of your article supports thesis statement and topic. Feel free to bring description, facts, examples, quotes, personal experience, and opinions of experts to support your argument.
- Provide your readers with a clear and complete explanation of ideas and thoughts you are going to write in your work. This is important for them to understand your paper.
- Make a detailed research before writing and use reliable sources while writing your article to support your own opinion. Don't forget that it's important to cite all sources properly.
- Follow all needed guidelines to use proper style and format in accordance with all requirements about your work.
- Use a natural writing style to make your work clear, understandable, and easy to read for the audience. Avoid using boring style. You have to check the article for grammar, spelling and logical errors.
Main Parts of Writing Process
If you want to know how to write good academic papers, it's important to understand main steps of the process. We suggest following these steps to create perfect work.
- Select subject;
- Brainstorm your ideas about writing your future work;
- Make a detailed research of chosen field;
- Discover a thesis statement;
- Create clear plan (outline) of your writing;
- Write article's draft;
- Revise finished work;
- Edit your text;
- Proofread your article.
We are going to provide you with full instructions about each and every step. Keep reading our guide and create an interesting and clear content without problems!
✔Selecting Good Topic
Sometimes your teacher may provide you with list of topics for writing, and in some cases, you will have to select a subject for your future writing on your own. Try to find a subject you are interested in. Make some ideas, and narrow these ideas to topics. For example, you may write about preventing ocean pollution, importance of management, or economic analysis. These are not topics because they are very broad, and you can choose the more concrete question to write about.
A good idea is to write your topic as a question. This is the best way to turn readers' attention as well as define main goal of your future work and understand what kind of issues you need to review inside. This is a list of signs of successful topics:
- You bring a question that doesn't have just one simple answer, but it may have several answers.
- Your audience cares about the answer to the question of your article.
- Your work provides readers with a new perspective, and topic motivates the audience to read the entire article.
- You are involved in the topic.
- You have chosen an appropriate topic for your future academic paper – if you will say too little or very much, you won't get successful work.
- You have information to write an article on a chosen topic. If you have not enough information, wide your subject, and if a lot, you have to narrow topic.
✔Brainstorming All Ideas
This step means writing down all opinions, questions and related information to your topic. This step allows you to understand what you already have about your topic, and what information you still need to find. Brainstorming helps to keep all your ideas together.
This is an important part of writing you need to do constantly during the writing process. If your research leads you in a bit different direction, you can change the topic a little. These are three important things you must keep in mind while making research.
- Don't forget to plan your research before you start writing process.
- Follow schedule: at the beginning make preliminary research, and start working on your article, and go back to research process if you need.
- Make notes about your sources. Write down the address of website or bookmark of every reliable source that you may use in your work.
✔Writing Thesis Statement
This is the most important sentence in your work that provides readers with the main idea of your entire article. We are going to provide you with important things you have to include into the thesis.
- Your thesis contains the main idea of your paper (work should contain one idea).
- A thesis reflects your own opinion - if someone reads your thesis, he or she has to understand the main goal of your article.
- A thesis statement should answer the research question.
- If you want to create successful work, include something interesting into thesis to surprise your audience.
- Thesis should be clear and well-understandable to people.
- All sentences of your future work must support the thesis, and all thoughts you put into article should be connected to it.
✔Making Good Outline
It's very important to make a detailed plan of your future article before writing. Creating work without a clear outline is the same as traveling without a map. It means you don't know where to start, how to go, and where to end your paper. Thanks to outline, you will not face such problems, and spend much less time with writing. You will not lose important details and thoughts. The more details you write into the outline, the less time you will spend on writing entire work.
When you are creating an outline, follow the structure of your future work. Keep in mind that your article contains three main elements: introduction, main part, and a conclusion.
- Introduction is a short part that provides readers with brief information about your work. It's important to make this part interesting to catch people attention and motivate them to read the entire paper. You need to give some facts to readers to understand your topic without making this part boring. The introduction contains a thesis statement.
- Body part consists of several paragraphs, depending on your article's length and purpose. You should remember that every single paragraph must contain one idea to support the thesis. It's difficult for readers to be focused on long articles, that's why you shouldn't make very long paragraphs. We suggest writing each paragraph not longer than ¾ of the page.
- Conclusion is the shortest part of your work that sums up everything you said and shows the significance of article, providing readers with a rephrased thesis. Don't make your conclusion very long. Check out you are not providing your audience with any kind of new information in this part.
✔Creating First Draft
Read these important tips and use them during writing article.
- Follow outline during writing and re-read all information about introduction, body part, and conclusion we provided above.
- Read some information about how to use material from sources.
- During writing, don't pay your attention to grammar, misprints or any other details that can distract you from the process. Your main task is to follow your thoughts according to an outline.
- Avoid plagiarism – don't forget to mention source if you use someone's words.
- Plan your time beforehand, and don't try to make your work at the last minute; if you don't have time for creating a good work, another option is to order it online. Writing is a serious process that requires a lot of time for planning, creating, and revising; this is one of the secrets how to write good academic papers.
✔Revising an Academic Work
After you completed your draft, it's time to revise your work. Follow these tips to revise paper:
- Get feedback from classmates or other people, including relatives, teacher, or colleagues. Listen what they said and make changes in your work, if needed.
- Re-read all requirements from your teacher, and check off what you already did, and mark things you still need to work on.
- Make an outline of your draft to check if you have organized all ideas clearly.
- Read every sentence of your work to check out it supports thesis statement, and change all inappropriate sentences.
- Read your work to check out each body paragraph supports topic.
- Imagine that you have never read this paper before, and try to figure out what questions and comments your readers may have. Your audience should be attracted by your work.
✔Editing Your Paper
Whether you are writing articles for a journal or creating homework essay, you need to edit the finished work to make it easier to read and more precise. Follow these steps:
- Read your article out loud slowly and mark repetitions, wordiness, and misprints, which you have to correct.
- Use online sources to check spelling and grammar.
- Each and every sentence of your work has a proper structure.
✔Proofreading Your Work
You have to proofread your academic paper to avoid any careless mistakes, and we suggest having some rest after writing an article (at least the one day) and start proofreading with fresh eyes.
In this guide, we provided you with detailed information how to write academic paper. We hope our tips were useful, and our resources will help you to create a strong work to get high grade!